CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Our 4 day weekend

The kids were out friday for parent teacher conference day, and then out monday for President's day, so we had a 4 day weekend. Our school district had already lengthened the school day this year, so we don't have to make up any snow days thus far, we are already covered by the extra time we go each day.

Friday morning Bourbon had his yearly check-up. He was the last, Roman had his last week and Starla the week before that. And out of all 3 of them, Bourbon is the absolute worst when it comes to getting shots. I'm telling you, Starla takes it better than he does. He starts crying when you just talk about them, way before they have even gotten them ready or even brought them into the room. And then when it is time to actually give them, he starts to about hyperventilate. I don't see any tattoos in this boys future, lol. It's during these times though that I can see past his tough 12 year old "too cool" exterior, and see my baby. :)

After the appointment we got to go to the zoo! We spent from noon until 4pm there, it was 80 degrees and wonderful. We brought our picnic lunch and just enjoyed the day.


















Daddy even came out and met us after he got off work....
















These guys are my very favorite animals at the zoo. I love the red pandas, they are soooooo cute!!













of course we brought bread to feed to the geese....



and ducks and birds and fish.....








Nana had sent the kids a valentines card with $5 for each of them in it, so they were very excited when I said after the zoo I would take them to Target and they could spend their money (the boys get $5 a week in allowance, but I put it into their savings account and won't let them spend it very often, they get so frustrated with me, lol).

All Starla could talk about for the last week or so was going to buy a la la loopsy doll. Have you seen these things? Some people think they are creepy, but I think they are the cutest darn things ever. They are like a doll straight from my own imagination, they are exactly the way I think the perfect dolly would be! From their button eyes sewn on mouth, to their colorful hair and adorable outfits, i love them. My only complaint is that they are hard plastic, they should sooooo be soft. Who wants to cuddle with plastic? Anyways, the big ones are like $25, so I haven't
even really thought about getting one for Starla, I think that's a bit much for a doll, even a really cute one. She has too many toys as it is!






But the little playset ones are only $5.99, so she was thrilled that she could buy one. Roman was also very excited to find his bakugan 50% off so he was able to buy a set with his $5 (and you really don't want to get me started on this, but here I go. The boys were super into bakugan when they came out over 2 years ago and we spent a ton of money getting them ALLL the stuff a couple of Christmas' ago, just a ton of them and every accessory from the battle field to the holders and shooters, and just every darn high priced piece of equipment that went with them, and then they played with them for like a month and didn't touch them again, so I sold them all in the JBF consignment sale last year, they didn't even care. But about 3 or 4 months ago Roman has decided that he loves Bakugan and wants to start collecting them again. Seriously?! I could kill them sometimes....) and Bourbon found a Halo lego set for only $2.50, which meant he could buy himself an icee at the snack stand too, lol. They were all happy. It's amazing what $5 can do, I didn't think we would get that lucky.

She is very proud of her dolly....



This one was called Pillow featherbed,....or maybe that was just the name of the whole set, I don't know. But Starla calls her Pillow featherbed. :)




Snowball is now 2 weeks old, and just a fat little butteball. :) All she does is eat and sleep still.







Her eyes had just opened on friday and the kids were really excited about that.





Roman loves playing chess, which actually started with Harry Potter, because they play wizard chess (he got a HP wizard chess set for Christmas!) He is in the Chess club at school, so every Wed. he gets up early and goes to school at 7:30a instead of 9am for Chess club.

Well Sat. there was a Mid-Del Chess tournament for all the Chess club members in the entire district, and of course he wanted to do it. We had to be there at 8:30am for registration (Thankfully my neice Destiny came over that morning and pretty much babysat all day long for a different combination of the kids, lol).

There were 5 rounds, you found your name on the list and it told you which board you were at and if you were black or white, then you started that round. Parents had to stay in the cafeteria during the games, which were held in the gym. Games were to last a max. of 30 mins each. After everyone was done, then we had to wait for them to figure out who won what, post the rankings and then post who you would be playing where for the next round. We eneded up being there until 2pm. (Thankfully I had sock monkeys to work on and a book to read, which I had actually forgotten at home and ran back to get during the first round!)






There were a ton of people there....





This was his 1st round, which he won





This was his 2nd round, which was a draw




This was his 3rd round, which he won.



I didn't get pictures of his 4th (his only loss) or 5th round (stalemate). (I had to run and get us lunch during the 4th round, and then just didn't get a 5th round pic!)

His ranking jumped up and down with each game, he ended up being #17 out of 62 kids, but at one point he was #6 so he was excited about that.

Roman won a silver medal for winning 3 out of 5 matches (his draw & stalemate each counted as a half, so together they made 1 win)




Another added bonus of the tournament was that Roman ran into his old best friend Matthew, which we had lost contact with. They were pretty excited, and spent the time between tournaments playing together. Matthew had been in Roman's kindergarten and 1st grade classes, and they were inseperable, but then he moved. About a year later, he popped back up, he came by the house just to see if we still lived there and they started hanging back out again often, but then we lost him again (all of his phone numbers stopped working!) so it has been over a year since they had seen eachother. We gave him our numbers, so Roman is hoping to hear from him.




We got home with literally 15 minutes before I had to walk out the door for the Beauty & the Beast musical. We have the season tickets to all the off broadway shows at the civic center, it was supposed to be Me & Starla going to see it, and Jamie has seats right next to us for each show too, but she was sick and gave us her ticket, so daddy got to go with us too.

Starla had never been to one of these shows, and I wasn't sure if we would behave. We have really high up seats, so it's not close enough I think to really hold her attention. But we wanted to try, it was Beauty & The Beast after all!!








She just would not sit still. And she thought it was fun to use me as her personal jungle gym, pulling, climbing and jumping on me. She thought it was particularly fun to put her face in front of mine, so that I couldn't see the show. The only time she sat still and watched was during the song/dance numbers "Gaston" and "Be our Guest". And of course whe wasn't very quiet. So at intermission we decided it was time to go. Really I wasn't all that impressed with the show, it wasn't horrible, but I didn't feel like I would be missing anything if I left either.

Right before this picture was taken, she had knocked the banner down, running away from her daddy......



I hope by Sept. she can sit through a show, because Peter Pan is coming on her birthday weekend, so of course I want to take her to it instead of anyone else!

Saturday night, Alan & I got to go out with a few friends to the Drunken Fry. I love this place. It's dark with mostly red lights inside, with a punk rock decor. They have all of these imported beers that I've never heard of, and like 25 different dipping sauces for fries. It's just different and fun.




look how dark that beer is! It's called a Youngs double chocolate stout, and it is one of my very favorites from there!



We always get the "big daddy" fries, it comes with 3 dipping sauces....yum.





Sunday we went to church, which I already posted pics from that in another post...

Decisions, decisions, which donut should I get?



And then since Rman had his own time with me all sat. morning/afternoon, and Starla got to go to Beauty & The beast, I decided to take Bourbon out to the cheap movies just the two of us. We saw Tron, it was pretty good. The other 3 went out for ice cream. Fun times!

On monday we went to the gym, then to get haircuts, and then to the Omniplex. We love the omniplex, there's soooo much stuff to do.












The boys spent a long time at the stop animation machine, they made movies. When I get around to it, I will upload them and post them (I took a video of their movies with my camera!)




Roman & I tried to see who could stack the most little chairs, I only got to 13 before mine toppled (the 14th one made it crash) but Roman got to 17! Here it is,toppling over, right before it crashed down....







Bourbon carries a notebook and pen with him where ever he goes these days. He is very into writing comics and drawing. Him & Roman will spend a ton of time each day drawing their little guy saying something, and then they pass it off to the other who draws his guy saying something, then passes it back. It's like a boy version of passing notes, lol. Notebooks & working pens are a hot commodity in our house....





After the onmiplex we went over to my brother's house to check out their newest addition to the family (no, they already have 7 kids, it's not a new one, lol). Nate bought Brandy a mini horse for Valentines, his names is Peanut. :)







And of course we got to play with the cousins for a little bit!

Kyan



Hunter & Roman



Meadow



We managed to squeeze in a trip the library that evening after dinner and then it was the end of our 4 day weekend. :)

No comments: