CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Roman & his Big

A few months ago we signed up both boys for the Big Brothers/Big Sister's program. I think they could benefit from a mentor, and that the more caring adults that they have pouring into thier life, the better.

The BBBS program said that there are more big sisters than big brothers, and that it might take up to 6 months to a year to get matched.

So We were surprised to hear from them last week, and that they had found a match for Roman.

His name is Scott, he lives about 8 miles from us in Jones, on 10 acres of land, and he owns horses. He is 41 years old and he loves all things outdoors, which is why they matched him with Roman, who told BBBS during the interview process how much he loved to fish, camp and explore outdoors.

We went into the BBBS offices thursday and met Scott for the first time, and he & Roman hit it off and a match was made. We filled out all the paperwork, and unless something beyond our control happens, have committed to maintain this friendship for at least a year. They made plans to go fishing monday evening, and that was all Roman could talk about until then. Monday he counted the hours down "Only 6 hours untilw e go fishing..." "only 3 hours until we go fishing..." he was super excited.

It was kinda scary to let someone I had only met once pick up my child and take him somewhere for a few hours, but I had a really good feeling about Scott, he seemed very genuine and like a really good guy. I know they do background checks as well as driving record checks and that BBBS is a very thorough and good company. I also prayed alot about it, before they found Scott and after. So I knew I was just gonna have to let go and let God.

Monday rolled aroun d and Scott picked him up at 5pm. They went to the lake next to the zoo and caught quite a few little fish, but they threw them all back.




















Then they went to McDonalds for a bite to eat. Roman said he told Scott all about pokemon. :)

BBBS partners with the YMCA so when we were at the offices and starting the match, they gave Scott a free membership so that he could take Roman sometimes. So Roman asked if they could do that next, he's very excited about the thought of going and working out and using their pool. He's not old enough to work out at the gym that we go to, and he gets jealous of Bourbon who does get to go work out, so he's extra excited about having his own YMCA access. :)

They are supposed to hang out at least 3-4 times a month, and for the first month it can only be the two of them until they establish a friendship, but after that if Roman wants to bring a friend or Bourbon, and Scott is ok with it, then he can. After 3 months Roman is allowed to go to Scott's house, which he is excited about because Scott has horses. :) We are also allowed to invite Scott and his significant other (they don't have kids) over to hang out here or whatever, so I'm sure we will have them over for dinner sometime soon.

I think this is going to be great for Roman, and I also can't wait to see who Bourbon ends up getting when he is matched. I just continue to pray that it will be the perfect match for him. :)

No comments: