I never realized there were so many other options for getting groceries other than the grocery store. My wonderful friend Nicolette let me in on a little thing called CSA, which is Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you buy a share into a farm, and then for the whole growing season each week you get a basket of whatever that farm produces. Amazing! I love the idea of having fresh, organically grown food from a local farm! That and I love the idea of helping support a local farmer! You can check it out in your area here. We found a farm in Norman through that local harvest site, and I called them and we got signed up. The woman who owns the farm said she has dairy goats too, and that there are a ton of baby ones right now and the kids can come play with them whenever we want! She is not only growing all the regular veggies that a farm would, but she also has fig trees, a strawberry field, and she puts eggs from her chickens in the basket along with fresh herbs and cut flowers! And later in the season she will also have honey from her beehives! How exciting is that?! She was the cheapest one in our area, and she is also new at it, so I am excited about it. We start picking up our weekly basket the first friday in April, and it will go through November. Yeah!
We are also joing the Oklahoma Food co-op in April. They are a group of local farmers and producers that offer organic food including hormone-free meat, which I am super excited about. They offer SOOO many different types of foods, from fresh made cheeses, butter and yogurts, to fresh baked breads and even tamales and prepared dishes! They have just about anything and everything you could buy (food-wise) at a grocery store, just locally made! You order once a month. I can't wait to try it out and see what it's like!
We are hoping both of these things will help us to not only eat healthier but to also curb our grocery spending, which is getting ridiculous in our attempt to eat better. Plus again, I LOVE the idea of helping the little mom & pops businesses, local hard working people. I love knowing we are helping to support their business!
And I can't wait to take the kids to go play on the farm with the goats! Maybe she'll let us collect eggs and other fun stuff like that for her too! Yeah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment