CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 15, 2010

The cost of health

It is amazingly expensive to eat healthy!

Roman's cholesterol levels came back elevated, as I'm sure Bourbon's will this week when he has his done. Alan gets his checked on Wed. for the first time since I've known him as well, and we shall see about him. But we all eat the same things, so I'm thinking all of us probably have high cholesterol. We had already been trying to eat more fruits and veggies and such, but now I am focusing on high fiber and the good oils and fats, and less red meat (which Alan is not happy about). But it's crazy how much healthy foods cost! It's so much cheaper to buy the high fat, processed foods that are so bad for you! I tell the kids that we each need to eat at least 2 fruits a day. So we are a family of 5, times 2 times a day, times 7 days a week. 70 servings of fruit in a week! Do you know how much that costs?! And all the higher fiber, whole-grains, good for you cereals are all a buck or so more than the sugary ones, the good for you snacks are all more expensive. As if out grocery bill wasn't high enough, now it's even higher in our attempt to eat healthier! It's irritating. And I've told the boys they need to start packing their lunches, even though it's so much cheaper for them to buy it, it's been proven in studies time and time again that school lunches are horrible for you, full of fat and sodium. And then you read all the studies about buying organic chicken and other meat, free of hormones, because those hormones are causing our kids to go through puberty quicker, and might be leading to cancer, we can't tell, there hasn't been enough time and studies done. They say we need to buy organic produce because the pesticides may lead to cancer and/or shorten our life span. We need to buy bottled water or a filter because tap water isn't safe to drink any longer. Sheesh. Grocery shopping and feeding your family has become a battle field! What do you sacrifice? What do you decide is worth spending the extra money on and what isn't? It's crazy. Makes me want to start my garden and grow my own stuff (which I try to do each year anyways, but not as seriously as I could), get a few chickens and have our own eggs, lol, I wonder if we can keep a cow and get our own milk....... :P

No comments: